May 11, 2011

.:{ Homewood Info Night }:.

Last night I went to the Homewood's Information Night held in The Woodlands, TX. I invited my parents along. There were several booths set up, however Precious is only in Preschool so I had to skip quite a few booths. The ones that interested me were Hands Uplifted (Sign Language Courses), ICARE Homeschool Group, Classical Conversations and New Beginnings. I didn't realize Morning Star's 4-H was there, however Precious can't join until she's in the 3rd grade.

The highlight of my night was visiting the New Beginnings table. It's a support group for new or struggling homeschool parents. They have sessions available starting August. I'm planning to attend. I added a button for their site along the side, check them out if you live in the Houston or Dallas areas. You can also join them via webinar.

After getting home, I went through the contents of my "convention bag". On the outside of the bag showed "ads" for Rainbow Resource Center and Christianbook.com -- both are great places to look for books and supplies at decent prices. Then inside the bag were a few catalogs and brochures. I'll just list their websites:


And this last one was a surprise, Operation Christmas Child. I have done this several times as a child and will probably make this a new tradition with Precious. You pack a shoe box with gifts for a boy or girl and send a donation of $7+ to help with shipping cost and drop it off at a collection location. National Collection week is the 3rd week of November which usually falls around Thanksgiving. Have you done this in the past?

I hope I've given you some great sites to check out. There will be another Conference the first weekend of June that I will be attending as well. It's arranged by the Southeast Texas Home School Association (SETHSA) called "Gulf Coast Home Education Conference", this is their 25th year. I'm looking forward to hearing Susan Wise Bauer.

Here's a funny little story about SETHSA. Two years ago, I had received an invitation to their 23rd Conference (it was mailed to the wrong address). It wasn't until then that I realized how big the community was for Homeschoolers. If you are reading this blog for the first time and trying to see if Homeschooling is for you, please take a look around the WWW and in the BlogWorld. It's amazing how much support you can receive.

Before I forget, yesterday afternoon, I visited the Homeschool House and scored! I found a used Melissa & Doug's Magnetic Calendar and paid 6 bucks! Sweet!

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment